Public Affairs Networking
Today’s headlines from across the EU
EUROPEAN HEADLINES
FT – Buffett backs Brazil private equity in march on giant US food brands. 3G Capital masterminds latest takeover in 7-year campaign. Deal creates $100 billion group.
WSJE – Voices on black box bode clues on crash.French investigators researching the cause of Germanwings Flight 9525’s crash near the alpine village said Wednesday they had a breakthrough with the recovery of an audio file from the Airbus jet’s black box, but warned it was too early to draw any conclusions on why the plane went down.
INYT = Alps crash inquiry focuses on descent. Battered recorders slow efforts to understand lack of distress signal.
 FRANCE
Le Monde – Europe emotional after unexplained crash. Investigators are looking for the causes of the fall of Germanwings’s A320, which lasted 8 min.
Les Echos -Hollande faces the challenge of economic recovery without employment. At last the business climate is recovering. The building sector sees light at the end of the tunnel. With 12,800 additional unemployed people, unemployment increased again last month. The government speeds up the implementation of reforms on social thresholds.
  GERMANY
Frankfurter Algemeiner – Joint mourning for victims of airplane crash.Merkel, Kraft, Hollande and Rajoy at the crash site; first flight recorder is being analysed.
SudDeutsche Zeitung – Crash of flight 4U 9525 is puzzling. Although the Germanwings’ pilots had several minutes during descent time, they did not make any emergency call. Experts wonder what prevented them from doing so – and consider a pressure drop to be a possible cause.
  ITALY
La Republica – Telephone tapping: the government reopens the case. – Matteo Renzi’s government is working on a new draft, judges would still be allowed to listen to the recordings, but its dissemination will be very limited.
Il Sole 24 Hora – Saving rates: less than 10% goes into the real economy. Only roughly 10% of the alternative capital in Italy is used to finance businesses and economic development. The remaining 90% is invested abroad or turned into state bonds.
  POLAND
Gazeta – Young people get out of unemployment In a year, the number of unemployed Poles below 25-years-old shrank from 395,000 to 301,000, indicates Eurostat data. This is a record result in the EU and a big surprise to economists
  SPAIN
El Pais – Investigation on Germanwings crash: France rules out mid-air explosion. The Spanish government confirms the number of 51 Spanish victims, at least. Rescue teams start to collect the remains of the victims.
Santander to win €3 extra billion next year. The rise will come from the arrival of new customers, according to CEO.
  UK
The Times – Mystery of air disaster leaves experts baffled. Families face long wait for answers after tragedy in the Alps
The Guardian – Revealed: special branch targeting of Labour MPs. Hain, Harman, Straw and Abbott among targets. Files included private material and finances. Demands that new revelations be investigated.

@europeanunion2015

Comments
No comments yet
Submit a comment

Policy and networking for the digital age
Policy Review TV Neil Stewart Associates
© Policy Review | Policy and networking for the digital age 2024 | Log-in | Proudly powered by WordPress
Policy Review EU is part of the NSA & Policy Review Publishing Network